10973 98 St NW, Edmonton

Alberta, Canada T5H 2P7


Non-economic class – Spousal & Partner Sponsorship



A. About the process:
If you want to sponsor your spouse, partner, or dependent children, you must be able to support them financially and make sure they don’t need social assistance from the government.

1. Get the application package
To apply to sponsor your spouse, partner or child, there are 2 applications:
• You must apply to become a sponsor.
• Your spouse, partner or child must apply for permanent residence.

2. Pay your application fees
In most cases, your fees will include:
• processing fees for you, the persons you’re sponsoring and their dependents (if applicable)
• the Right of Permanent Residence Fee
• the biometrics fee (unless exempted)

3. Submit your application

B. Check your eligibility to sponsor:
You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child if:
• you’re at least 18 years old
• you live in Canada
• you’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
• You will have to provide proof of income to show that you have enough money to support the persons you want to sponsor You may not be eligible to sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child if you:
• are in jail, prison, or penitentiary
• didn’t pay back:
– an immigration loan
– a performance bond
– court-ordered family support payments such as alimony or child support
• didn’t give the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor someone else in the past
• declared bankruptcy and are not discharged
• receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability
• were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence inside or outside Canada
• can’t legally stay in Canada and must leave the country because you received a Removal Order

C. Income requirements:
In most cases, there isn’t an income requirement to sponsor your spouse or partner or dependent child. You only need to show that you have enough money to meet the income requirement if:
• You are sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own
• You are sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.

D. Processing time:
• Sponsor a spouse or partner: average processing time is 12 months.
• Sponsor a dependent child: varies by country.

Need help to apply to sponsor your Spousal & Partner? Contact us today for assistance