Economic class – Quebec-selected skilled worker
This is the application process for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents of Canada and live in Quebec. Quebec has a special agreement on immigration with the Government of Canada. The province has its own rules for choosing immigrants who will adapt well to living there.
To immigrate to Canada as a Quebec-selected skilled worker, the candidate must apply in the following 2 stages:
1. Apply to the Government of Quebec for a Quebec Selection Certificate (Certificat de sélection du Québec [CSQ]).
• The Province of Quebec will assess the candidate, using its own rules.
• The certificate shows that the Province of Quebec has accepted them as an immigrant.
2. If the Province of Quebec chooses the candidate and gives them a CSQ, they must apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada for permanent residence.
About the Regular Skilled Worker Program
❖ Selection factors and criteria
Selection is made on the basis of a selection grid, with points awarded on the basis of various selection factors and criteria. The assessment of the candidate’s application will determine whether they obtain a sufficient number of points to be selected by Québec.
The selection factors and criteria are designed to assess the candidate’s social and professional profile (as well as their spouse’s, if applicable) and help determine their potential for integrating into the Québec labour market and Québec society? The factors and criteria considered are:
• Their training (level of education and area of training). Only diplomas obtained before the submission of their application are considered in the attribution of points for the Education Level criterion;
• Their work experience
• Their age
• Their knowledge of French and English
• Their stays in Québec and family relationship with a Canadian citizen or a permanent Québec resident
• Having a permanent employment offer validated by the Ministère. See the section International recruitment – Hiring a permanent foreign worker
• Characteristics of their accompanying spouse or de facto spouse, if applicable
• Other factors, including the number of children under the age of 22 who will be accompanying them to Québec
• Their capacity for financial self-sufficiency (they must sign a contract in which they undertake to provide for their needs and their family’s needs for at least the first three months following their arrival in Québec).
❖ How this program work
1. Candidates must first create an account on their Arrima portal and submit an expression of interest (EI) form. This form will be placed in the Expressions of Interest Bank (EIB).
2. If the candidate’s profile corresponds to the invitation criteria, they may be invited to submit an application for permanent selection.
3. If they are invited to submit an immigration application, they must complete their permanent selection application form and pay the required fees.
4. Candidates must then send the required documents in support of their application for permanent selection.
5. The application will then be processed using the Regular Skilled Worker Program selection grid.
6. If the candidate is selected, they will be issued a Quebec Selection Certificate (Certificat de sélection du Québec [CSQ]). They can then submit a permanent residence application to the federal government of Canada.
If you want to obtain permanent residence in Canada for you and your family, contact us today for assistance. Allow us to assess your case and advise you on the immigration options that best suits your individual matter.