What does the expiry date on my visa mean?


The expiry date on the top line of the visa is the date by which you must arrive in Canada, not the date by which you must leave Canada. You must arrive in Canada on or before the date printed under “Expiry date” which is read DAY-MONTH-YEAR (DD/MM/YY).

I plan to re-enter Canada after my visit to the United States. Do I need a single or multiple entry visa?

Your single-entry visa will allow you repeated entries to Canada from the USA within the period authorized for your stay in Canada. The authorized period of stay is the time granted by the port of entry officer at the time of your original entry to Canada or, if you have been granted an extension, the period allowed by your extension.

However, if you leave Canada or the United States for another country within the period of your authorized stay, this is no longer applicable. You lose your temporary resident status once you leave Canada for another country other than the United States.

To re-enter Canada after leaving the country for a destination other than the US, you will require a multiple-entry visa. You cannot change a single-entry to a multiple-entry visa after it has been granted. You will then have to apply for a new Temporary Resident Visa.

How long can I stay in Canada?

Upon your arrival in Canada, the immigration officer at the port of entry will let you know how long you can stay in Canada. Your passport or travel documents may be stamped to indicate the duration. If you do not receive notice otherwise, you may remain in Canada for up to six months. Please make sure you understand when you will have to leave. If you have any questions about how long you can stay in Canada, be sure to ask an immigration officer upon your arrival or during your stay.

If you wish to extend your stay once in Canada, please refer to CIC’s website Applying to Change Conditions or Extend your stay in Canada. Applications for an extension of status can only be made in writing and must be submitted at least one month before your status is due to expire.

Can I apply for a new visa once I am in Canada?

No. You must make an application at a visa office outside Canada for a new visa. You can only apply for an extension. Please see Applying to Change Conditions or Extend your stay in Canada.

I lost my passport with a valid visa / my passport with a valid visa was stolen. I still need to travel to Canada. What do I do?

You will need to submit a new application once you obtain a replacement passport. Kindly include a copy of the police report and an affidavit of loss when submitting your application.

I have an expired visa and I wish to renew it. What do I do?

To renew your visa, you will need to submit a new application. However, it is not a guarantee that if you will be issued a visa if you have been granted a visa in the past. Your current circumstance must satisfy the requirements of the Act before a visa can be issued to you.
My planned travel is postponed and my new departure date is beyond my visa validity. Can my visa validity be extended?

No, the validity of a visa may not be extended. If you are unable to use your visa within its validity, you will need to submit a new application.

I have a pending immigrant application. Can I apply for a temporary resident visa?

Yes, you may submit an application for a temporary resident visa. Your visa application will be assessed independently of your immigrant application and in accordance with the Regulations in force. An intention by a foreign national to become a permanent resident does not preclude them from becoming a temporary resident if the officer is satisfied that they will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *