Close this search box.

What’s the different between a visitor visa and a visitor record?

Visitor visa:
A visitor visa (also known as a temporary resident visa) is an official document that citizens
from visa-required countries need to get to travel to and enter Canada as a visitor for up to 6
o The visitor visa is sticked in your passport.
o It shows that you meet the requirements to enter Canada.
o It includes the date by which you must arrive in Canada. The date is not an expiry date
for your stay in Canada.
If you apply for a study or work permit for the first time, you will automatically get a visitor visa
when your application is approved.
• Visitor record:
A visitor record is a document that a border services officer may issue to you to extend or
restrict your stay in Canada. If you want to stay in Canada for more than 6 months, you have to
tell the border services officer.
You may also get a visitor record after your application to extend your stay or restore your
status is approved. A visitor record is issued either by the Canada Border Services Agency or
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
You need to apply for a visitor record when:
o You first arrive at the port of entry and you know you want to stay longer than 6
months; or
o You’re in Canada and decide you want to stay longer.
o You must apply at least 30 days before your authorized stay in Canada expires.
o It’s an independent document (not placed in your passport).
o It includes an expiry date for your stay in Canada. That’s the date by which you must
leave Canada.
Need help with your immigration matter? Contact us today for assistance

Contact Us

To schedule an appointment or learn more about our ultra-efficient radiology services, please contact us today.